"Arts education aids students in skills needed in the workplace: flexibility, the ability to solve problems and communicate; the ability to learn new skills, to be creative and innovative, and to strive for excellence."

Art and Design is of ever increasing importance as the amount of information transmitted visually, through mass media, is growing constantly. Interest in all types of design, from fashion to furniture, cars and interiors has never been greater. The ability to understand and make use of visual language is an increasingly valuable skill. An understanding of the creative process and an ability to make informed critical judgements is integral to this.

Key Stage 3

The National Curriculum requires that during Key Stage 3 in Art & Design all pupils should experience working in a range of media whilst achieving a balance between “Investigating & Making” and “Knowledge & Understanding”. Pupils are required to gather and use resources, develop, review and modify their ideas and work in two and three dimensional media, where possible including IT. This balance is achieved across 3 years - however, the practice of drawing and painting will be used in order to continually reinforce and expand the fundamental principals of Art & Design. Pupils are taught in mixed ability groups throughout the year. 

The examination has a practical and written content, in which pupils are required to show evidence of their knowledge and understanding of Art, and demonstrate their technical and imaginative skills

Key Stage 4

Exam Board: OCR

Assessment Methods

GCSE Art 1910 is a broad course offering pupils the opportunity to work in a variety of media. We find that this course suits most pupils and is a good preparation for continued study at AS/A2 level. Those with a particular interest in Painting, Graphics or Textiles will also be able to work in these specialised areas as part of the broad course but occasionally may choose to follow a focused course. Drawing and Painting are fundamental skills in the study of Art and essential for continued study at AS/A2 level. Therefore drawing and painting will form a part of each option course. Pupils will work in a range of materials and techniques that might include pencils, pastels, paint (watercolour, gouache collage, mixed media or print). They may produce work based on direct observation, imagination or personal experience 60% of the marks will be gained through coursework.  The remaining 40% of the marks will be gained through the exam.

In all the courses pupils will be expected to meet four equal assessment objectives:

1. Record from observation, experience and ideas

2. Analyse images, showing understanding of context

3. Use a range of media, processes and resources, reviewing and modifying work as it progresses

4. Present a personal response, making connections with the work of others.

For more information please visit the Art GCSE course page of the exam board's website for key information about the Art and Design GCSE specification. Additionally please make direct contact with the Art department if you have any specific queries

Key Stage 5

Exam Board: OCR

The aims of these syllabuses in Art and Design are to stimulate, encourage and develop:

•The ability to perceive, understand and express concepts and feelings

•The ability to record from direct observation and personal experience

•The ability to communicate by using appropriate materials and techniques in a disciplined way

•Experimentation, innovation and the use of intuition and imagination

•Critical and analytical faculties; the ability to identify, research and evaluate the problems in a systematic way

•Confidence, initiative and sense of adventure and achievement

•The acquisition of a relevant working vocabulary

•An awareness and appreciation of the interdependence of Art and the individual within cultural contexts


At AS-Level Students will complete a substantial coursework unit culminating in a cohesive final outcome, a Personal Investigation and a 5 Hour Controlled Assignment. At A2-Level Students will direct their own coursework unit theme this will culminate in a final piece. They will also produce a Personal Study and sit a 15 Hour Controlled Test. It is vitally important that Students understand the time consuming nature of the course and are motivated to complete 5 Hours of independent study each week.


Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events yet!